Monday, June 22, 2015

Quilting Day

It was lovely to spend last Saturday with my local quilt group, sewing in the hall. I had plenty of room to lay out all 144 x 8" blocks for my Blue & Tan quilt. This also gave every-one half an hour or so of fun rearranging the blocks, so none of  the tans/browns were together. 

 Then they had to make sure none of the creams were together and also the blues. All in all it was  fun to watch them, while I sat back and ate my lunch! I left them to it!! :-)

Next job is sewing them altogether.
Have spent the last 2 days with DH sitting and watching the U.S. Open Golf Championship. I find it hard to sit and do nothing, so I got on with knitting the vest I started last winter. Maybe I'll get it finished this winter so I can wear it. 
Thanks for dropping by

Monday, June 15, 2015

Revisiting my Blue Quilts

I decided it was time to change my header quilt. This is a quilt I made as a mystery quilt designed by Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville. It's still only a top as I can't decide on a border. One day it'll happen.
The next quilt was made for one of my grandsons, and was made using scraps. I pieced it using the strata method - sewing randomly cut strips together and making a piece of fabric. I think from memory I sewed the piece of fabric into about 9"in depth, then recut using my 45 degree triangle, turning the ruler one way then the other. Its a bit hard to explain with diagrams, but the quilt is in Australia now so I cant show any other photos.I quilted this one myself on my Pfaff.

Alexanders Quilt

The quilt above was made in 2005 for my sons 40th birthday. The white sashing was very crisp and all the squares were blue & white. Its now on a single bed in their home and still looks lovely. Sorry the photo is a little blurry. This quilt was professionally machine quilted. Its measure approx. 80" square.

 This quilt is entitled " T with Friends" after chatting with my quilting friends and getting lots of ideas regarding sashing, I made the cornerstones a ruby red the same as the first border.

I hand quilted this quilt using my most favourite pattern - Baptist fan.
 Now I must get back to my Blue & Tan quilt. I have made about 30 large blocks ( 4 x 4 )
Only 6 to go. Yipee as I am so bored with it, and have the next one ( to make) eating away at me. :-)

 Thanks for dropping by

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Doll Quilt Swap Revealed

I received my fabulous Doll Quilt from Sharon Tucker. Thank you so much Sharon. I love it, together with the YLI thread, pkt needles and a swatch of repro fabric with grasshoppers playing pool.
Its beautifully quilted – some hand and some machine.

I am also working on finishing a few UFO’s. This is a quilt I started about 6 years ago. The block measures 8”finished.

I am piecing them into 16”squares as I find it a little less daunting to have to make 36 of these rather than 144 x 8”blocks. 

Dumb I know but thats how my brain works.
It will be a very random scrappy quilt, but I am only using blues and browns/tans, plus whatever creamy/white backgrounds I have. I am NOT buying any fabric for this. I have laid out 2 of the 16 “ blocks. (unpressed)

I'm still having problems writing in Windows Live Writer. Something has happened to Google ( to me and alot of other people) so I am writing this directly to blogger. 
Thanks for dropping by


Tuesday, June 9, 2015


My Nearly Insane Quilt top is finished and ready to take to the Machine Quilter. I am so relieved to have finished it, and have made given myself a deadline to finish as many UFO’s or WIP’s whatever you call them in the year of 2015. This measures about 96” square.  

The quilt is so large I couldn’t get a photo at home, so got a friend to take a photo at Quilt meeting last week.

It took me almost 5 years to make, from the date I made the 1st block to when I stitched the last border on, with lots of down time in between!

I have another quilt basted for an Australian Grand-daughter ready to do some of my hopefully reasonable machine quilting on. I am a real beginner at this, but they say practise makes perfect! This quilt measures 80”.

I am in the process of making more blocks for a blue, cream and brown/tan quilt that I started in 2011. I needed to make 144 x 8” blocks for this quilt as I wanted it for our main bed. I like the quilts to finish about 96” square. I still have about 40 blocks to make, and am joining them into blocks 4 x 4 which seems to make them easier to cope with.
Thanks for dropping by